Yahoo has launched its own Web browser called Axis, but this browser is unlike other popular Web browsers such as Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Internet Explorer. Yahoo’s Axis Browser is a browser plugin meant to coexist and aid one’s current browser. It is meant to be a search browser for the visual display of search results.
Free plugins of Yahoo Axis are available for Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari Web browsers. Axis is also available for iOS devices as a standalone app. An Android version of Axis will be available in the future.
Learn more about the Axis browser at http://axis.yahoo.com/.
- Amazon has a new licensing agreement with Paramount Pictures to add hundreds of movies to their Prime Instant Video service over the next three years. Among the movies to be made available include “Braveheart,” “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” “Clueless,” “Forrest Gump,” “Mean Girls,” “Nacho Libre,” “Star Trek,” “Top Gun” and “The Italian Job.”
- Read more at http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtmlc=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1699059&highlight=.
- A ZDNet blog says Apple has denied Kaspersky, a popular security company, the request for an antivirus iOS app.
- Read more at http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/kaspersky-denied-ios-app-apple-buries-its-head-in-the-security-sand/77648.
- Ubuntu Business Desktop Remix has received a refresh. The latest version has been updated with the Ubuntu 12.04 enhancements and it will be the first longterm support (LTS) edition of this remix. Ubuntu Business Desktop Remix is a basic Ubuntu distro minus games and leisure software such as social networking and file sharing apps. The main focus of this remix is on productivity. Therefore, it will include programs such as Adobe Flash Plugin, VMware View, the OpenJDK 6 Java run-time environment, built-in Microsoft Windows RDP 7.1 support and the Microsoft Visio diagram importer in LibreOffice Draw.
- Learn more about Ubuntu Business Desktop Remix or to register for the free download, visit http://www.ubuntu.com/business/desktop/remix.
- Roku has joined with DISH to bring DISHWorld on Roku. According to a Roku blog post, the DISHWorld service offers “more than 50 international channels to the Roku platform — including the leading Hindi, Arabic, Urdu, Bangla and Brazilian channels.” Programming available via the DISHWorld service includes “sports, movies, news, children’s programs, music, cooking shows, talk shows and general entertainment,” according to the post.
- Packages for the streaming-only DISHWorld on Roku subscription start at $19.99 per month. No satellite subscription is required for the DISHWorld on Roku service.
- The DISHWorld service is currently available for Roku 2 and Roku LT models, while 2012 Roku HD models will have access by summer. However, first generation Roku models will not have access to the DISHWorld service.
- Learn more at http://blog.roku.com/blog/2012/05/22/dishworld-on-roku/.
Cool iOS apps
- Facebook has launched a new iOS to make it easier for its users to share photos on the social service. The Facebook Camera app lets users post multiple photos at once, edit photos on the fly and add tags to the photos.
- The Facebook Camera app is available for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (4th generation), iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad (3rd generation) and iPad Wi-Fi + 4G running iOS 4.3 or newer.
- Learn more about the Facebook Camera app at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/facebook-camera/id525898024?mt=8 and https://www.facebook.com/mobile/camera.
E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org; fax me at (859) 236-9566; or write me snail mail at The Advocate-Messenger, P.O. Box 149, Danville, KY 40423-0149.