100 years ago — 1912
The last session of the Kentucky General Assembly has enacted a new law that will affect public places in all cities, including Danville, Junction City and Stanford. The law states that the use of the common drinking cup on railroad trains, railroad stations, public hotels, boarding houses, restaurants, steamboats, in stores, or other publicly frequented places is hereby prohibited.
Any person or corporation violating the law will be fined not less than one dollar and not more than $10.
A telephone company has been organized in Hubble with a capital stock of $2,500. Leading farmers in that area are stockholders. It is hoped that communication can be established with all the surrounding towns. A switchboard will be installed at the home of Squire J.T. Roberts, with his daughter, Miss Ina Roberts, as operator.
The exchange starts with 50 phones subscribed for already, and it is believed the list can still be increased. A committee composed of John Chrisman, D.B. Morris and Wilson Alexander is at work arranging for poles, wire and instruments and it is hoped to have the exchange working in about 30 days.
In other local news, Rona McKechnie has been laid up with boils on his hands for two weeks; W.G. Rankin of Perryville passed through Danville on his way to Wayne County to buy cattle; L.G. Hubble is having his store and home painted; and Lee Rankin is having a concrete silo built by Phillips Bros. of Stanford.
Mary Walker has a curiosity being a “white” blackbird. It was caught by Mrs. Long in the yard of the Kentucky School for the Deaf and had a mate that is a “black” blackbird. Both birds are young and Mrs. Walker is going to try and raise the young curio.
75 years ago — 1937
Danville will shortly start work on building West Walnut Street from College Street to Maple Avenue, and West Lexington from Fifth to St. Mildred’s Court. West Lexington from St. Mildred’s Court to Maple Avenue will soon be black topped. The city street department has nearly completed the rebuilding and surfacing of Rosemont Avenue from Maple to the western city limits.
Workmen are busy quarrying rock at the municipal rock quarry on Lexington Road, and much of the metal is being stored on a city lot on North Seventh Street in readiness for new street construction. City manufactured concrete sewer pipe is also stored on the city lot preparatory to the building of a storm sewer on South Fourth Street to the city limits.
Miss Mary Ashby Cheek has been appointed president of Rockford College, of Rockford, Ill. to succeed Dr. Gordon Chalmers. Miss Cheek, who is a native of Danville, will assume her new duties this fall. She is the daughter of Mrs. Addison Cheek, of Danville, was graduated from Caldwell College in Danville in 1907, then entered Mt. Holyoke where she graduated in 1913. After spending several years at home she took her masters degree at Columbia University in New York City, and later studied at the international university in Geneva Switzerland.
The Boyle Fiscal Court has adopted a resolution fixing the school tax rate for the city of Danville at $1.15 per $100 valuation of city property, the same rate as in previous years. A poll tax of $1.50 was also fixed for the benefit of the school fund. The rate for the county school districts was set at 60 cents per $100 valuation and fixed a poll tax of $1 for the benefit of the county school funds.