¼ cup butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook buttermilk in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring often, 4-6 minutes or until bubbles appear around edges (do not boil); remove from heat. (Mixture may curdle.)
2. Lightly beat egg yolks in a large bowl; stir in squash and cheese. Combine cornmeal and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Stir cornmeal mixture into squash mixture. Pour warm buttermilk over squash mixture; whisk until smooth. Let stand 15 minutes or until lukewarm.
3. Brush a 2-½ to 3 quart baking dish or 12-inch cast-iron skillet with 1 Tbsp. melted butter; stir remaining melted butter into squash mixture.
4. Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold into squash mixture. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
NOTE: If you don’t have butternut squash currently, Southern Living tested the recipe with 2 (12 oz.) packages of Bird’s Eye Frozen Butternut Squash.
The market will open the first Saturday in April this year. We will be open from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturdays only throughout April, or until vendors sell out. After that time, our regular Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday schedule will begin. Check this column for more announcements as that day approaches.
EBT and Debit services will continue to be available.
If you are interested in becoming a member of our market for 2012, contact Gary Taylor at (859) 332-2539.
The Boyle County Farmers Market is located at Boyle County Fairgrounds. The market manager is Gary Taylor of Knobview Farms.