LANCASTER — The Garrard County man found dead outside of Burger House in April died of an accidental drug overdose, according to the autopsy report.
Curtis W. Davis, 34, was found dead in his truck in the restaurant’s parking lot on April 26. Some had speculated he died from choking on a hamburger, as he suffered from a swelling and inflammation of the esophagus known as esophagitis. But he died of an “acute and chronic” intoxication of drugs, including methamphetamine, amphetamine and the painkiller oxymorphone, according to the autopsy. Pseudoephedrine, a drug used to make meth, was also present in Davis’ blood and urine. Authorities found a meth pipe in his truck as well as pen tubes with an unidentified white substance in his jeans pocket.
Davis had gone to the Burger House, located on U.S. 27 just south of Lancaster, and ordered his lunch, said Garrard Coroner Daryl Hodge. Sometimes he napped in his truck, so it took a few hours for people to notice something was amiss and call authorities.
Davis’ pet dog was in the truck but was not hurt because the engine was still running and provided adequate ventilation, according to the report. The Burger House receipt and a partially eaten meal also were found in his truck.