Burnt popcorn causes evacuation of Danville High School
DHS evacuation (February 21, 2013)
Students and staff at Danville High School were evacuated shortly before lunchtime today after smoke was visible in a first-floor room. Danville Fire Chief Woody Ball said the culprit was overcooked popcorn in a microwave oven that created a slight haze that was visible in the air. "I've been in smokier pool halls," Ball joked, but said school officials did the right thing by clearing out the building. After the air quality was tested and an exhaust fan deployed, students were allowed to return to the building from the shivering cold.