Danville Fire Department is investigating a house fire that occurred this afternoon they believe may have been sparked by a puppy’s curiosity.
At 12:03 p.m., firefighters arrived at 1000 Nakomis St., near the bowling alley, and discovered the home’s kitchen was on fire.
“Nobody was home at the time,” said Ken Pflug, Danville fire marshal. “And nobody had used the kitchen all day.”
But there was one thing out of place when the fire took place, Pflug said.
Owners of the home, Benjamin and Kim Case, had left their young Boxer in its kennel.
Mrs. Case’s mother discovered the fire and found the dog was loose.
She got the dog out of the house and called 911.
Pflug said firefighters suspect the Boxer attempted to reach a cake that was on top of the stove, and in doing so powered up the appliance, causing the cake and its container to catch fire.
Firefighters were able to access the fire easily and it was completely extinguished by 12:09 p.m., according to a press release.
No one was injured in the fire, but there was some heavy damage to the kitchen, said Tim Brumfield, deputy fire chief.
“There’s light smoke damage throughout the house,” Brumfield added. “You can really smell it if you go in there.”