LANCASTER — Authorities say the death of a Lancaster man found in a storage unit two weeks ago was ruled accidental.
Christian Robinette, 41, was reported missing by his wife, Renee Vest, on Jan. 31. He was found dead in his pickup truck Feb. 5 at the family’s storage unit at East End Storage on Richmond Street.
Garrard County Coroner Daryl Hodge said toxicology results confirmed the cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning.
“It was ruled accidental,” Hodge said.
Robinette likely was cold and turned the truck on for periods at a time to warm up, Hodge said.
Hodge said Robinette probably continued to turn the truck on and off until he ran out of gas. By that time, all of the carbon monoxide from the vehicle was trapped inside the storage unit.
Robinette was in a sleeping position when found, covered with a sheet, and his keys were sitting on the dash.
He was not wearing any shoes or socks, and temperatures reached single digits in the days he was missing.
“He was in there for several days,” Hodge said.
Robinette was found by his wife and son after an East End Storage manager opened the unit for them.