HUSTONVILLE — Drought conditions contributed to a small fire at Hustonville Elementary School on Saturday, officials said.
At 6 p.m., residents of the 300-person community noticed flames shooting from the roof of the school, said Mayor Mark Spivey. About 20 Hustonville and Moreland firefighters promptly squelched the blaze, which never reached the inside of the building.
Contractors were working on the school’s roof and had a plastic bag and some supplies on top of the building. The plastic bag and the heat caused a “spontaneous combustion,” Spivey said.
“I couldn’t be more pleased with how promptly firefighters and school officials responded to the situation,” Spivey said. “I’m thankful there weren’t any children around at the time.”
Saturday’s fire marked the first time that Hustonville firefighters used a late-model truck that was a recent addition to the department’s arsenal. The truck, which cost about $85,000, is just one step toward improving emergency services in Hustonville, according to Spivey.
Though significant rain fell in the area Sunday night, a burn ban in Hustonville continues until further notice. Also, the mayor is asking people to voluntarily conserve water and limit non-essential uses such as watering lawns or filling swimming pools.