Blue Grass Community Action Partnership will begin the “subsidy” portion of the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program that provides heating assistance to eligible households on Nov. 5. The significant cost of energy to heat homes leaves many households unable to fully meet heating bills or purchase sufficient bulk fuel to keep their families safe and warm. The local Community Action Partnership stands ready to help.
- A household shall be considered to be eligible for LIHEAP subsidy when the household meets the basic eligibility criteria:
- Makes and completes an application
- Is responsible for home energy costs, directly or as an undesignated portion of their rent;
- Has a combined household income for the calendar month prior to the month of application not in excess of 130 percent of the federal poverty level as listed in the Income Eligibility Guidelines;
- Lives in Kentucky when the application is made and applies in the county of residence; and
- Does not have liquid resources in excess of $2,000 or $3,000 if at least one person in the household is 60 years old or disabled, ($4,000 if resources are being used for living expenses due to catastrophic illness).
Applicants will need to apply at the Blue Grass Community Action office location in their county of residence. Information needed includes:
1. Most recent heating bill or verification from landlord that the heating expenses are included in your rent.
2. Proof of Social Security number or permanent resident card (green card) for each member of the household.
3. Proof of your household’s (all members) income for the preceding month.
4. Picture identification card (driver’s license or state identification card)
Blue Grass Community Action Partnership is located at 225 W. Walnut St., Danville. Call (859) 236-2955 for an appointment.
LIHEAP is a statewide initiative operated by Community Action Kentucky in partnership with the Cabinet for Health and Family Services. For more information, log on to www. bluegrasscommunity action.org.