Nearly a year after the inaugural VisitNich.com Bowl, the Nicholasville Tourism Commission voted to donate money to boosters to make up for concession profits that boosters say they lost to free food in a hospitality area.
During discussions about this year’s bowl games last Thursday, July 19, commission member and school-district athletic director Ken Cox said the hospitality tent set up at last year’s event fed many more people than intended. Commission treasurer Roberta Warren made a motion to donate $500 to the East Jessamine football boosters.
“We talked about this a lot last year after the bowl games, that we took a lot of money from the East Jessamine booster club,” Warren said. “We had kind of kicked around that we would try to compensate them with a donation.”
Warren said she was “surprised” that the boosters did not follow up soon after the bowl game, but she said the booster club had recently contacted her with a request for the amount.
Commission member Tommy Cobb suggested the commission wait and set a donation amount similar to what West Jessamine’s boosters make when the school hosts this year’s games, citing decisions to be more strict at the hospitality tent and only allow one person in per ticket; some families got in with one ticket last year.
“It was a mistake on our part, and that’s been corrected,” he said.
But several commission members said the comparison would be “apples to oranges” year to year. Warren’s motion was seconded by Bobby McIntyre and passed unanimously.
The VisitNich.com Bowl football games are scheduled for Friday, Aug. 17, at West Jessamine High School, with East Jessamine playing Somerset at 6:30 p.m. and West Jessamine playing Tates Creek at 8:45 p.m. Soccer games will follow Saturday and Sunday at the East Jessamine soccer complex.
Editor’s note: Journal sports editor Jonathan Stark contributed information to this story.