- Try natural biodegradable cleaners from health stores, or 4 tsp. of baking soda in warm water instead of general-purpose cleaners.
- If you need something strong, you can mix vinegar and salt instead of the heavy-duty cleaners for surfaces.
- One-half cup of white vinegar followed by one handful of baking soda works well instead of drain cleaners.
- To get black scuff marks off of hardwood floors, try using a large pink pencil eraser!
- Vinegar and water can be used to clean almost anything including walls, floors and glass instead of special cleaners.
- To get crayon off of walls, use toothpaste!
- Opening the windows or setting out an open box of baking soda instead of using air fresheners.
- If you can't find a safe substitute, then use as little of the toxic substance as possible to do the job.
- Make your own compost (in city approved bins) from food waste products--especially good for vegetable gardens.
- Look for citrus-based cleaning products. They are based on a solvent extracted from orange peels.
Make your own eco-friendly cleaning products
Green cleaning from toothpaste to orange peels
Instead of cluttering your house with harmful household cleansers, use these ten tips to make your own.