A fire caused substantial damage to a home on William Whitley Road Friday, but no one was injured.
Lincoln County Fire Chief Danny Glass said the fire started in the kitchen of Johnny and Teresa Sims' home at 2080 William Whitley Road.
A woman was outside the house and there may have been children inside when the fire started, but everyone was able to leave the house safely before firefighters arrived, Glass said.
The fire damaged the kitchen and a living space on the first floor. Glass said the rest of the house suffered substantial smoke and heat damage, but it was not a total loss and the building can be repaired.
"It could have been a lot worse," Glass said.
There was a possible delay between the start of the fire and when firefighters were called because residents attempted to extinguish the fire themselves before calling, Glass said.
Glass said it's always a good idea to let trained professionals handle extinguishing fires, and even if someone tries to put out a fire on their own, 911 should still be called first so firefighters can be on their way.
"Always make the call first," he said.