SO YOU KNOW
Foster parents can be married or single and must meet the following requirements:
• must be at least 21 years old;
• must be financially stable and have income sufficient to meet the family's needs;
• must be able to provide a safe, secure and health home for a child;
• must be in good physical and mental health;
• must meet the requirements for housing safety and space; and
• must complete 30 hours of the pre-service preparation classes and all paperwork.
The training, evaluation and approval process normally takes about four to six months. The amount of time until foster parents are assigned a child depends on how flexible they are about which type of child they are willing to parent.
The training program is free. The only potential cost associated with the training is the cost of a required physical.