NEW ORLEANS—The United States Coast Guard says trill seekers have forced a change of spillway policy.
“We got a report yesterday from the Army Corps of Engineers that there were people jet skiing in the Bonnet Carre Spillway,” says Lt. Brian Sattler.
- Black Bears Seeking Higher Ground
- 5 Additional Feet Of Backwater Expected To Flood Homes In Butte LaRose
- Morgan City Cautiously Optimistic About Rising River
- Share Your Pictures: Rising River & Lake Levels
- Pictures & Videos: Flooding Affects Wildlife
- Safety of Citizens
- Water Skiing
See more topics »
Lt. Sattler says the Coast Guard has put out a temporary regulation creating a safety zone that prohibits boating on the spillway, “and it prohibits vessels from operating in that area and that was done with the public safety in mind.”
The Coast Guard will have patrol boats stationed to enforce the rules, and protect public safety.
With crowded waters expected this upcoming Memorial Day Weekend the Coast Guard urges people steering any water craft to stay extra alert and use common sense, “Safe speed, bring all your required safety equipment. Wear your life jacket