Experts agree that the very state of your health may well reflect the health of your liver; therefore if you want to be healthy, it is prudent that certain attention be given to this all important “detoxifying organ.”
The liver, the largest organ in the human body, performs many vital functions to keep us healthy. Among these crucial tasks is the role of incessantly processing the blood used by the rest of the body. The liver converts food into substances needed for life and growth, it stores glycogen, amino acids, protein, and fat. It also plays a vital role in the digestive process as it makes the enzymes and bile that help to digest food. That’s not all; the liver delivers even more; the liver helps neutralize harmful environmental toxins and wastes. Because our liver is always hard at work, lending it a little extra support may be worth the effort. Certain herbs, like Milk Thistle, have been shown to have a positive effect on the liver. Milk Thistle isn’t new; it has been used medicinally for over 2,000 years. The first century Greeks recognized that Milk Thistle juice mixed with honey was indeed effective at carrying off bile. Much of the power of this herb lies in its seeds where the active component called silymarin is found. Silymarin is both an adept anti-inflammatory and a powerful antioxidant which may promote the regeneration of liver tissue. Milk thistle protects the liver by making the liver’s cells more impermeable to free-radical and toxin attack—both potential cancer causing agents. Here are some of the conditions that Milk Thistle is used for:
• Milk Thistle is used to relieve the symptoms of hepatitis.
• Milk Thistle is used to relieve the symptoms of cirrhosis.
• Milk Thistle is used to relieve certain inflammation associated with liver conditions.
• Milk Thistle is used to help detoxify the liver.
• Milk Thistle is used to restrict damage to the liver caused by excessive alcohol, and/or chemotherapy/ radiation therapy.
• Milk Thistle is used to help protect the liver when taking prescription drugs for an extended period of time.