Food left cooking on a stove was the cause of a fire that damaged an apartment on East Washington Street Thursday night, officials say.
Winchester Fire-EMS Maj. Greg Beam said the fire in Apt. 292 at 545 E. Washington St. in the Sequoia Village started around 8:15 p.m.
“There was heavy damage downstairs, smoke damage upstairs and external damage to the apartment beside it,” Beam said.
There were no injuries and the apartment’s lone occupant had a place to go, Sequoia Village Executive Director Edward Stone said.
Stone also said there was some smoke damage to the other apartments in the building, but it was not extensive enough to displace other residents.
“There’s only one person (who lived) in the unit that burned,” he said. “The ones next to it had some smoke damage, but they were able to go back.”
Repairs will be made to the apartment, Stone said.
There were no injuries in the blaze and the cause was easily determined.
“It was a simple one to investigate,” Beam said. “We’re happy for that.”
Contact Casey Castle at email@example.com.