A fire started by a 4-year-old playing with a lighter destroyed a home on North Main Street Wednesday, officials said.
The home and its contents were completely destroyed by the blaze, Winchester Fire-EMS Maj. Greg Beam said. No injuries were reported.
“Everybody was out when we got there,” Beam said.
The fire started around 12:07 p.m. at 525 N. Main St. Trailer 5 when a mattress caught fire while the child played with an extended lighter, one commonly used for lighting charcoal grills.
The flames were contained to the single building, though Beam said there was some minor smoke damage to a trailer nearby.
Contact Casey Castle at email@example.com.